* A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour


* There are no mistakes, only learning experiences.


* Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.


Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Module 4- Clinical Decision Making

I never really thought about my own personal decision-making process before doing this module and studying the things that influence that process. What the readings did the most for me was to critically evaluate my personal approach to decision making and to form new value sets in regards to this vital process. Being a very logical person in nature, I tend to approach problems and decisions in a very systematic way; relying on evidence and knowledge as a guide in my approach to care. I usually reserve intuition to when I am dealing with other aspects of care, such as general appearance of patient condition, emotional state of the patient, etc. Having said this, I have had experiences where intuition was the key factor in problem identification- had I not listened to my intuition, my patient could have potentially died. So, after critical reflection of my decision making process as a result of the reading, I have came to this conclusion that I stated in my discussion post: “the true expert will intricately weave experience, intuition, and evidence-based practice in making decisions that will result in the best possible outcomes. True wisdom is exemplified when an appropriate blend of experience, heuristics/intuition, and evidence/logic/equation is used in the decision making process; we should never apply one at the expense of or in the absence of the other. To rely solely on intuition would lead to inaccurate predictions, judgments, and choices, which could result in actions leading to inappropriate care and even harm to or the death of those we are trying to help.” I appreciate the opportunity of listening to Mr. Kahneman and for all the reading because it has helped me to be more in tune with my personal decision making process so that I can more appropriately apply this knowledge to that process; thus, making me a more effective practitioner.

1 comment:

  1. Nathan - you are a deep thinker. It's truly been a joy reading your postings.

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete